If one ascends in the north-west direction at one of its most beautiful points in the Saale (river) valley across the famous school port about a good hundred meters, one reaches a plateau. There ones eyes can behold three villages, (Lower-and Higher Möllern) Niederund Obermöllern and the little neighboring village Pomnitz in between, known to the early historian for its handcraft excavations. On the fertile, inclined mountain slope of the Haselbachtal (The Hasel River Valley), towards the north, Pomnitz is presently surrounded by a seam of rich fruit tree orchards in the south and west, bordering on forest. In the springtime there sparkle anemones and violets far and beyond.
Pomnitz, which the old folks also called "Pumlitz", goes back to an old Sorbic name: "Settlement of Pommen", a man, who liked to remember heroic stories of the wars. Later, while Celts, Sorbs and Thuringians who had either been expelled or defeated, Franconians migrated in the 12th century; later also Flemish people migrated. However, the settlement remained small with thirteen farms. After the "Great War" in 1658, two inhabited towns were still reported. In the 1900th: Twenty-one farms with a little more than a hundred inhabitants from early on, farmers had to pay taxes and give feudal service to the Kircher Portal who they were serving. Even before the "Peasant War" in 1485, they rebelled and had to be over thrown by force to retain their obedience (among which were Naumann, Nordmann, Grober and others). This place is the original homeland of the Pomnitz, which gave them their name in the late middle ages, when they migrated to neighboring villages.
Here, the "other", unknown northern Thuringia of Prussia begins with the river Unstrut flowing through it, bounded by spurs and firs. We are not dealing with a historically known landscape, yet it is history prone with its various battle fields and the residence of the first German Emperor: Mernleben and his late roman torso of the former abbey; with the Erkadinean and Beichlinger Earls, with Bach reminiscences and its ancestors Goethe and Ranke (Wiehe). Once it was well populated during wars and today stands with but few grand art buildings. Once (in 1934), Kurt Kluge had described this Thuringia as a magnificent one, reminding us the Erfurt's far reigning "Gloriosa" bell also rings of this "boring" part of the country, namely in "the green heart of Germany".
The wheel makers and horse groomers Pomnitz, originally from the hamlet and farm with the same name "To Pomnitz" district (Naumburg), are to be found during 1515 until the end of the seventeenth century in the neighboring village Obermöllern as farmers and village craftsmen who were in former times presumed to have been cartwrights. There, their name survived with two other ones among 16 inhabitants the Thirty Year War. That side of the family which migrated north to the nearby Donndorf in the Unstrut valley around 1700, continued their heritage by marrying nine times into neighboring villages, passing on the trait of the cartwright profession as a genuine village craft for over several generations, from father to son. Nineteen of those elder sons were reported to have married during the time period of seven generations, at least ten of them were cartwrights, five of them were village craftsmen, all of them pursued a constructive profession which along with the biological heritage were all related to one another. Moreover, they owned land and a farm, working as horse groomers. They worked the land themselves. The agriculture maintained them. Via Donndorf and Oberröblingen at the Helme river, they came to Colleda and Wiehe, barely a day ride away from their home in Pomnitz. In former times and even nowadays, they were settled as farmers near Bibra as well as Wiehe, whereby the Colledaer side of the family moved up from the craftsmanship to independent business owners, (namely a lumber factory), at the end of the nineteenth century when they became bourgeois. The family tree tragically ended with a "cartwright", a young airplane constructor and glider pilot. In 1939, another Pomnitz was working for the Reichabahn in Berlin, working in the old family profession as cartwright.
Translation from the Pomnitz and Senf Family
Tree (Begins on page 96) Genealogical Society of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day